Friday, October 4, 2013

Recipe Friday: Applesauce

Last weekend we went to the apple orchard and I got TONS of apples.  I'm finally getting around to making applesauce (and apple pie is soon to come).  I thought it would be a great recipe to share because it's so easy, and it's a great fall activity.  So here are the basics:

Applesauce

Ingredients:
Apples 
Apple Cider

Directions:
Peel, core and slice the apples.  This is a cinch if you have an apple peeler/corer/slicer like this one.  I
f not, just peel them and core them and slice them thin--or not--they'll cook down.  Oh, and I see now my finger is in this shot.  Career in photography clearly wasn't in the cards.

Next, throw them all in a pot, pour in a little apple cider, just to give them some moisture (maybe about 1/2 cup for  the amount of apples I have here.  You can always adjust as you cook.  Then put them on the stove to simmer until they're soft.  My mom just vigorously whisks them until they're a smooth sauce.  I let them cool a little then throw them in the food processor.  (Oooh!  I just remembered my immersion blender!  Even better!)  Another finger in the shot.  Sorry.  My nails look nice though, don't they?!?!  Finally used that gift card to the spa from mother's day!


I keep some out to eat and freeze the rest in 2 Cup amounts for later.  Caden's an apple monster so I don't usually have a chance to get too much into the freezer.  Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment