Thursday, February 20, 2014

Back to Greener: Bye Bye Dryer!

Last week I blogged about trying to go back to being as green as I was at my height of greenness.  (Before I got lazy.  Let's face it.)  I decided my first step was going to be a baby step and I was going to stop being cheap and buy all organic produce.  I went to the farmer's market and got some local, natural (and in some cases) organic food.  This week I'm greening my cleaning--again.  Back to using the drying racks!  I really had a good laundry routine going.  One day I wash, the next I fold and put away.  But I'm using that dryer again and I know how much energy I can save buy using my drying racks instead, so I'm going back to using the dryer for towels and (some) diapers only.
  I have to keep telling myself how I swore up and down that using the drying racks wasn't any harder than using the dryer, but from my lazy viewpoint, it's going to be more work.   Too bad for me.  I made a promise to myself to get back to my previous greenness level and I'm going to do it.  Today is a "wash" day in my cycle.  I've got some towels in the dryer now and a load of lights in the washer.  We'll see how it goes doing all the wash in one day and the folding the next.  Maybe I'll have to come up with a new plan.

I noticed a button on my washer that says "Eco Plus".   I wasn't really sure what it was, but I pushed it anyway.  I dug out my instruction manual and it turns out that it will lower the temperature of the water used, but extend the cycle, getting the same level of washing performance but reducing energy consumption.  So in addition to using my drying racks, I'm going to hit this button when I wash anything in water other than tap cold.  Easy enough!


No comments:

Post a Comment