Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Haymaker Farmers Market

I made it!  I said I wanted to go to the Farmer's Market in Kent this weekend and I did it!  I'm so proud of myself!  Of course it was easier because Ellie had a Girl Scouting event at 9:30 so I was already up and out of the house, which made it easy to get there early before everything was picked over. It was at a different location that it was last time--a little farther away from us, actually.  It was right across the street from KSU in a church.  There weren't as many vendors there this time as there were last time we were there, last year.  I don't know if it was just the week or if there are generally less vendors this year than last.  I took Olivia and Vince with me and both kids had a good time.  Vince was engaged the entire time, he was shopping and listening
to what the vendors were saying.  I think the free samples helped.  He really wanted some cotton candy, which was NOT what I drove 45 minutes to get, but he was such a good little guy and I WAS there to support local vendors...so I let him get it.  He was SO excited to get home to share it with everyone and he didn't even open it on the ride home, although he did TALK about it the whole time!

OK, so we ended up with apples, fresh rosemary and flax seed bread, veggie jack cheese, eggs, veggie burgers, and of course the cotton candy.  I only had $20 in cash, and I didn't really want to spend much more than that, but I wanted to get that cheese for Evan and it was $7 and I had $6.  So I used my debit card.  They do something pretty cool, where you can swipe your debit card for any amount you want (in $5 increments) and they'll charge you a $2 service fee.  (I realize that made it sound like the service fee was the cool part--it's not.)  They'll then give you $5 tokens which are good at all the vendor's booths in the market.  I thought this was great!  I could use my debit card since I never have cash, and they'd give me change for my tokens if needed!  Way to make it convent for your customers, Haymaker Market!  

I'm glad I went.  I felt greener getting back to my hippie brethren, but I don't know that I'll go up very often.  It was quite a drive on a Saturday morning and although the little ones had fun, I don't think it will be fun week after week.  If you're closer to the Kent area, I'd suggest going.  It was a great way to spend a half and hour (there really weren't very many booths last week) and it's a fantastic way to support local growers.  

Token--Vince was in charge of them.  He liked handing them over to the vendors, but I don't think he got that they were money.  
The little man and his cotton candy.  He chose mint flavor.  It was all white.  Ellie thought it was stuffing when he got home.  He LOVED that!  All flavors were white--no artificial colors at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment