Friday, February 28, 2014

Recipe Friday: Potato Kale Quiche

I made this the other night for dinner, but didn't put it in a pie crust.  I just poured the filling into a casserole dish.  I've taken this dish to at least one family gathering and it went over pretty well.  I really love it.  As far as quiches go, it's pretty hearty, with all the potatoes.  I think the nutmeg flavor makes it seem a little sweet, which of course I love.  It's from my favorite cookbook The Vegetarian Mother's cookbook by Cathe Olson.  I've used this thing so much my copy looks like this:



Potato Kale Quiche



1 recipe for pie crust (use your own or a pre bought one)
1 TBSP olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 C peeled, diced potatoes
2 C packed chopped kale
3 eggs
1 1/4 C milk
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp pepper
pinch of nutmeg
1 C shredded monterey jack or cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 375. Prepare pie crust an place in 9 or 10 inch deep dish pie plate.  Partially prebake according to package direction or for15 minutes at 350.  

Prepare filling while crust is pre baking.  Warm oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add onion and sautee for 5 minutes.  Stir in potatoes and cover and cook for 5 minutes.  Stir in kale, cover and cook another 5 minutes.  Kale and potatoes should be tender, but not overcooked.  

Whisk eggs, milk, mustard, salt, pepper and nutmeg until frothy.  Place 1/2 the cheese in the bottom of the crust.  Place potato-kale mixture over cheese and cover with remaining cheese.  Pour egg mixture over vegetables and cheese to fill crust.

Bake at 375 for 40 minutes, or until center is set.  Cool 10 minutes before cutting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment