Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Rockin' Green Detergent

When I first started using cloth diapers I used Allen's Naturally to wash them.  It was a $21 box of detergent and it lasted for almost a year.  It came in a plain white box with "Allen's Naturally"  in box letters on it.  It worked well.  I was happy.  But then, over time, as cloth diapering moms know, the ammonia smell started.  It happens every once in awhile.  It's just a build-up from extended use, but I was having a hard time getting rid of it.  So I asked at The Breastfeeding Center, where I got the diapers, if they had any suggestions.  They suggested Funk Rock.  It came in a small black and white bag with green lettering.  It looked fun.  I tried it.  It worked.  I was happy.  After awhile I ran out of my boring boxed Allen's and had to go back to the Breastfeeding Center to get more detergent.  I decided to give Rockin' Green a try because I liked the Funk Rock and, as you can tell from my descriptions above, I liked the packaging.  I also thought the concept was funny.  Well, actually the concept is genius, the marketing is funny.  What makes Rockin' Green detergent different form all other green detergents is that it's formulated for your water--soft, medium or hard.
It was so nice to be able to select a detergent for my soft water and know that I was getting the best clean that I could--not using too much detergent and being wasteful.  Since we had a water softener I selected the Soft Rock kind.  Did I mention the scents?  Also super funny.  Since I was using the detergent for my cloth diapers, I selected the unscented version-Bare Naked Babies.  Now, If I Had A Million Dollars, I wouldn't care about the price, but since I don't I was pretty pleased with the $15 for the bag that would give me up to 90 loads of laundry.  When we moved to the new house and we no longer had a water softener and now had hard water, I knew where to turn--Rockin' Green.  So I went back to the Breastfeeding Center to get detergent for my diapers again, but this time, I was brave.  I tried some of the scents.  I got Hard Rock detergent in Motley Clean and Lavender Mint Revival.  I figured I could use the Motley Clean for my Girls, Girls, Girls clothes and the Lavender Mint Revival for my Fortunate Son.  I was a little afraid to try the Smashing Watermelons scent because I didn't want my clothes to smell like watermelon.  HOWEVER, I found out after doing a little research that all the scent washes out leaving Zero Smashing Watermelon smell on your clothes.  At first I was a little disappointed that the smell washed out--what's the point of using scented detergent then?  But the truth is, I don't want to use artificial scents on my clothing. All these years of making sure to get unscented and fragrance free has been for a reason--it's not good to breathe all that all  day long.  So, it's nice to be able to open the bag, sniff the clean, lavender mint or watermelon smell, and know that it'll rinse out in the wash.

If you don't know what kind of water you have, you can type your zip code into their website and they'll tell you.  I got hard water when I typed in my new zip and was surprised.  I thought our water would be middle of the road-Classic Rock.  I had had the water tested when we were considering getting a water softener so I emailed the company with my water hardness level and they responded VERY quickly.  I was really impressed with the level of customer service.  I'm sold on Rockin' Green.  It does a great job with my diapers as well as all my kids clothes.  Now if another detergent comes along with a more creative marketing technique, I might be inclined to give it a try, but for now, I'm just going to Rock On.

Screen Shot of Rockin' Green's Home page.  Little blurb about what makes them green. 
KM--this soap has your name written all over it!  If only they had a Beetles product...

No comments:

Post a Comment