Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Books

I'm blogging about books today because what I'm much rather be doing right now is finishing my book rather than blog.  I realized a few years back that I love to read.  I've always liked to read, even as an elementary kid, but a few years ago I realized that I LOVE it.  I read all different genres which I think keeps it interesting, although I generally get stuck on one genre for awhile before I move onto the next.  I'm in a book club which I love not only because I love the girls in it, but also because it keeps me reading, even when I might feel like doing something else.  Not to mention, it give me 12 books a year that I have to read, so I don't have to search for books to read.

It occurred to me the other day that I don't really model reading very much for my kids.  I read a lot, but it's when I have time, which is when I don't have kids--while I exercise (I have to brag that I recently started reading while I run on the treadmill.  I have no idea how I do it, but I've managed to do it twice now without getting sick or falling off the treadmill.)  or when the kids are in bed.

 I've blogged before about how I wish I focused more on reading to my kids, but again, one of those things I haven't really followed through with.  I will say that I have been reading with Ellie every night.  Awhile back she found an interest in religion and wanted to read a bible.  Of course the Good News bible I got in 8th grade was not only a little above her reading level, but also missing the book of Genesis since Brodie ate it. (Jack is not, in fact, the only destructive dog we've had.) I found a great kids bible at Ollie's, of all places, that is on her reading level, covers all books of the bible and is SUPER reader friendly because each bible story is condensed into one page.  There are 365 stories and we've been reading one a night...then two and sometimes 3.
I'll read one to her, then she'll read one to me and then sometimes she'll continue to read after I leave the room. I love it.  It gives me a chance to read WITH her and model reading fluently and have her practice reading to me as well.  Sometimes I'll tell her the truth, that I zoned out while she was reading and ask her what the story was about that she just read.  At first she rolled her eyes and told me that I sounded like her teacher, but then she was able to retell me the story in her own words.  Nice comprehension check, albeit lower level thinking.  I still have retained some of what I learned as a teacher.  As part of my resolution to follow through with my blogging ideas I'm going to focus on reading more to Olivia and Vince.  I feel like I do my part to encourage Caden to read by picking books on various topics for him at the library each week.  Olivia will bring me books to read to her throughout the day.  She LOVES to be read to and it'll be easy to follow through with this for her since I'm in her room a long time anyway at bedtime.  Vincer is going to be the challenge.  He's never been the fan of books that Caden and Olivia are.  He'll listen to you reading, but he rarely seeks you out to read.  If I want to read to Vince, I'll have to make the effort.  He's usually the one I spend the least amount of time with at bedtime so that's going to have to change. We have SO MANY picture books but he likes just a few that he's familiar with and will chose them time and again when asked to pick a book.  I'll need to pick books for him to get him to branch out.  He's getting to the age where it's really important to model reading, I guess that's every age, but when he's learning his letters and sounds, I feel like it's particularly important.

We're headed to the library now to take Ellie to art class.  (If you're not aware, the Little Art Gallery at the North Canton Public Library offers children's art classes.  We've always been really happy with them.  Ellie's in a Frozen-themed art class this session because we need to encourage more Frozen conversation, music and paraphernalia in our house.)  This will be the perfect way to make me follow through on reading more to the little ones.  Have I mentioned before how much I love the NCPL?!?!  The staff is really knowledgable and now that they know what Caden likes to read, I'll walk in the door and they'll have suggestions for me before I even ask.  SO nice!  Plus they have these great dog toys that you can check out and your dogs can destroy.  I think they call them puppets and they charge you a lot of money when you bring the toys back destroyed but what a great idea, right?  If you don't have destructive dogs, they make a great item to check out because they come with a picture book that goes with the puppet.  If you check out the pirate, please ignore the stitching on his hook...

OK, going to put some clothes on this naked child on my lap (I've lost count of the outfit changes for Miss Olivia today.  I'm guess somewhere around 6?) and head out to the library.  Maybe tonight when my kids are finally in bed I'll actually get to finish that book... then on to the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment