Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Drinks All Around!

Birthday season is fast approaching.  Ellie's is February 12th followed by mine on the 18th then Caden on March 10th and Uncle Rob on the 22nd.  This means lots of family parties, which means lots of entertaining and lots of food.  The food part is usually pretty easy.  I ask the kids what they like and then go from there.  Where I run into trouble is the beverages.  Evan insists that we serve pop (I realize that the rest of the US calls it soda, but I'm from northeastern Ohio and it's pop up here.)  but I HATE to buy all those two liters which are opened for maybe one glass for one guest.  It's a guessing game about what everyone's drink is.  Coke or Pepsi? Regular, diet or zero? How many "other" kinds do we get?  Rooter, 7-up, ginger ale...I hate it!  It's such a pain for me and it's so expensive to buy all that CRAP that I don't want to drink, don't want my kids to drink and feel guilty serving my guests.  "Welcome to my home!  Can I interest you in a beverage that literally eats through iron nails?  Perhaps something with more sugar in one serving than a human should consume in one day?"
What my plan is this year is to forgo the pop in favor of other options.  I HIGHLY doubt that any guest will turn on their heels and leave upon realizing that we do not, in fact, have pop to drink.  I usually buy a bottled iced tea, but that too contains a ton of high fructose corn syrup and other ingredients that I can't pronounce so that will also be left off the list.  Instead, I'm going to "mix" up a pitcher of my lemon water, brew some tea and ice it,  and make an infused water that I've found on Pinterest.  There are a TON of them listed on there and based on the party, I'll pick one to "match".  (One has strawberries--Ellie gets the pink).  Not expensive, not a ton of work but a healthier option and probably even a little bit of a treat.  I'll feel better about it and who knows, maybe my guests might actually enjoy the change.  Who drinks freshly brewed iced tea (in Ohio) on a daily basis or infused water?  

Phew!  Drinks are taken care of!  Now for the gifts, food, cakes, party balloons and party themes...I'm ready for you birthday season! Bring It!
Caden's 9th Birthday.  This year is double digits!

1 comment: