Monday, January 26, 2015

Following Through

OK, so like I said before, I'm bad about following through on things I blog about.  My New Years Resolution this year is to stop that habit.  (You can make a resolution mid-January, right?) So far I'm doing pretty well.  I did the foot soak thing and this weekend I actually did the dryer balls!  Can you believe it!  Totally would have blogged about that and then never did it in the past.  Not now!  Friday I went out to dinner with my mom (thanks Mom!) then we went to JoAnn Fabric and bought wool yarn (and tons of St. Paddy's Decorations-again, Thanks Mom!) then hopped down to World Market and bought some glass tumblers to replace all the plastic I threw out.  TWO, that's right TWO blog posts I followed through on in one night!  I'm so amazing!

First, the glasses were actually $1.99 instead of $1.  Sorry about that.  They had a few different choices that would have worked, but I picked the ones with the widest base on Mom's recommendation to prevent spilling as much as possible.  We've used them all weekend and so far they've been pretty sturdy.  They had really cute ones with mustaches on them but I thought they mustache would probably just come of after a few rounds in the dishwasher so I went with these guys, who are also stackable, which is convenient.
New glasses with Ellie's leftover breakfast crust and Vince's guys.  

Next the dryer balls.  I got two skeins of yarn, dark grey and winter white.  I did the grey first and made the first one too big so the second was significantly smaller.  That was really the only mistake I made, the rest was really simple!  Just wrap the yarn around two fingers about then times, then wrap 10 times around the middle of the loops you just made then start wrapping to make a ball!  When I was done I had a little trouble feeding the end of the yarn into the ball to secure it, but after a few tries with a crochet hook I figured it out.  The video I watched showed pulling it straight through the ball, but I just weaved it across the sides a few times and they've seemed to stay secure.  It didn't take long at all to do the first two, the second were a little more challenging only because
the dogs got ahold of the yarn before I started to work so it took me literally twice as long to make them as it did the first because I had to untangle the yarn as I went.  After they were rolled and secured I put them in a knee-high panty hose and tied the hose after I added each ball, then washed them with towels on hot then dried them on high as well.  They look pretty good, but I think I may do the pantyhose and throw them in with the towels again just to make sure they're well felted.  So now I have a total of 8, which is still less than I want, but I can run to JoAnns and grab another skein and make two more in a snap now that I know how to do it.
Princess Anna and the dryer balls.  See how the bottom grey all is much bigger than the top?
Also, there's a little white nose that is very interested in the yarn even in a ball.  The Sitting Tree said they make good
dog toys.  I may have to felt some and let the dogs test out that theory. 
So that was my weekend.  So productive in terms of my greening plans.  Also very productive in terms of saying poor Olivia's hair to look like Anna's and Elsa's.  "Zincy cut it!" she kept telling me when I told her it was too short to braid.  I did my best though.  Not bad for what I had to work with!
"Like Anna!!!"

"Like Elsa!"

No comments:

Post a Comment