Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Coughs

Short post today.  I just noticed while I was digging around in our medicine cabinet for alcohol (you know, to get the nail polish out of the carpet) a bottle of children's cough syrup.  Seeing this made me remember that the last time I had a kid into the doctor for a cough (not to be confused with the ear infection I took Vince in for Monday) she told me that studies she had read showed that cough syrup wasn't really that effective or necessary for kids.  She said if you're going to use something to help with a cough, just use honey.  I'm definitely going to use this next time we have coughs in our house.  When I was getting sick last week (I really do think the essential oils helped!) I woke up each morning and made myself a mug of hot water, honey and a drop of lemon oil.  It worked like magic,  the hot water opening up my sinuses and the honey sooting and coating my irritated throat.
The other thing about using honey vs cough syrup will be the ease of dosing.  My kids would much rather gulp a spoonful of honey than a cupful of nasty medicine.  I gave Vince a mug of my honey/lemon "tea" the other morning when he woke up looking a little sick and he drank the whole thing, which really surprised me.

So there it is.  Just a thought for your next cough.  (Side note, I think I might actually give agave nectar a try too.  It's not as thick as honey, but I usually have it on hand because I like it better as a sweeter.)

No comments:

Post a Comment