Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Hot And Sour Cabbage Soup

I took one bite of this for dinner and and knew I had to share it at a blog post.  It's from Vegan Cooking for Carnivores by Roberto Martin.  I've blogged about this cookbook and shared some of his recipes before and this one didn't disappoint.  With the weather being so cold I thought soup sounded like a nice warm dinner.  This soup was a perfect choice!  I don't have a cold, but if you're feeling under the weather, I think this would be perfect!  It was quick and easy to make with minimal ingredients.  Even Evan liked it! (Although he said he didn't think it was very filling, but I think that's his obligatory response to anything vegetarian.)



Hot and Sour Cabbage Soup with Brown Rice


1 TBSP high-heat oil such as safflower or grapeseed oil (I just used canola)
1/2 C uncooked, sprouted brown rice (I just used long grain)
1 bunch of scallions, white and green parts cut on the bias
4 cloves garlic, minced
8 C broth (the recipe calls to make it with Better Than Boullion chicken or vegetable base and I used vegetable.  I LOVE this stuff!  Great flavor!)
1/2 C rice vinegar
1/2 c mirin
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 C shredded cabbage
3 baby bok choy, thinly sliced (I couldn't find baby so I just used one large bok choy and just used the leaves and didn't chop too far down.)

Heat a large soup pot or small stockpot over high heat, add the oil, and wait until it shimmers.  Add the rice and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 2 minutes.  Add the scallions and garlic and cook 1 minute more.

Carefully pour in the broth and bring the soup to a gentle boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer the soup until the rice is fully cooked.  Add the remaining ingredients.

Ladle into soup bowls and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment