Thursday, May 10, 2012

All About Rice

I just got a new rice steamer from the Pampered Chef party I went to.  It's for the microwave, so I'm really excited to use it because I know it will be MUCH faster than the way I make rice now...in the oven.  I read the directions for the steamer and they basically said, put the rice and water in the steamer and cook according to package directions.  Well, I buy my rice in bulk-no package and no directions.  So I thought I'd check out a bag of rice the next time I go to the grocery and see what it says.  Then I remembered that I don't always buy the same kind of rice.  It's always brown, but sometimes I buy long grain, sometimes short grain and sometimes medium.  I don't know why.  I don't know the difference and I feel like whichever one I'm standing in front of at the time is what I get.  So I've decided to do a little research and actually find out the difference between the grains of rice.  I *think* it might make a difference in the cooking times or rice:water ratio. Here's what I found:
"Rice can be divided into two basic types: short-grain and long-grain. Examples of short-grain rice include Japanese sushi rice and Arborio, while common long-grain types include Carolina rice, as well as the more exotic Basmati and Jasmine varieties. Short-grain rice has a plump shape. The outer layer of short-grain rice (also sometimes referred to as medium-grain rice) absorbs water very easily and as a result, the cooked product ends up soft and a little sticky. Slight stickiness isn't a bad quality – it makes it a heck of a lot easier to eat with chopsticks, for instance – and in fact, the characteristic can even be taken advantage of by cooking gently over a long period of time and with continuous stirring (to slowly release the starches and yield a creamy texture), as in risotto. Long-grain rice is more slender in shape, and tends to cook up firmer, with each of the grains well-separated. (The exception is jasmine rice, which is actually fairly sticky compared to other long-grain varieties)." The Clueless Chef.com


"Rice is classified mostly by the size of the grain. Long-grain rice is long and slender. The grains stay separate and fluffy after cooking, so this is the best choice if you want to serve rice as a side dish, or as a bed for sauces. Medium-grain rice is shorter and plumper, and works well in paella and risotto.   Short-grain rice is almost round, with moist grains that stick together when cooked. It's the best choice for rice pudding and molded salads.  Other specialty varieties include Spanish rice for paella, glutinous rice for sushi and rice balls, and risotto rice for risotto. Most varieties are sold as either brown or white rice, depending upon how they are milled.   Brown rice retains the bran that surrounds the kernel, making it chewier, nuttier, and richer in nutrients.   White rice lacks the bran and germ, but is more tender and delicate. It's less nutritious than brown rice, but you can partially compensate for that by getting enriched white rice. Brown rice takes about twice as long to cook as white rice. Converted rice is beige. It tastes a lot like white rice, but it has more nutrients. Instant rice is white rice that's been precooked and dehydrated. It's convenient, but expensive and bland." from Cook's Thesaurus.
So it doesn't look like there's a difference in cooking time between the grains or a nutritional difference.  I guess I'm ok just randomly grabbing one, but long-grain is probably what I want more often since I'm usually using it as a side.  Thanks Google!  Yet another mystery solved!


No comments:

Post a Comment