Monday, May 21, 2012

Shopping Locally

I went to the Raisin Rack today.  I bought some blueberries (which were REALLY good for this early in the season!!) and they didn't scan.  They had to call to do a price check (which took just a second since the store is so much smaller than a chain grocery store) and they charged me $4.99.  As I was leaving, the produce manager stopped me on my way out to tell me that since it was the start of a new week, the blueberries were actually $3.99 this week and the next time I come into the store, I should tell the person at the register that I get a dollar off.  He said I could ask for him to verify, but he thought they'd believe me.  How great is that?!?!  It's just a dollar, but I felt like they cared about me as a customer.  I don't think a chain grocery store would have done that.  And I'm SURE they wouldn't have just told me to mention it the next time I came in.  They're just too big for that.  So my experience got me thinking about shopping locally.  I already posted that stat about buying local produce and I know from other things I've read how important it is to shop locally.  So I Googled "Benefits of shopping locally" and checked out a few sites.  I think this one was the most concise and easy to read.  It's from Monroe County, WI, but I think it applies everywhere.  Here's their top 12 list:

Top 12 Benefits to Buying Local

  1. Money Spent Here Stays Here
    If residents of Monroe County would transition just 10% of their out-of-county retail spending to in-county spending, Monroe County businesses would gain an additional $4.1 million in sales.
  2. Jobs and Wages
    Supporting local businesses provides support to the jobs they offer. Monroe County businesses employ over 20,000 people. An increase of 10% in local spending could add 100 new jobs to the county.
  3. Stronger Tax Base
    A 10% increase in local spending will generate an over $700,000 increase in municipal tax revenues.
  4. Local Business Owners Invest in our Community
    Local businesses are owned or managed by people who live and work in our communities, raising their families and investing in our communities' futures. They support our churches, our schools, our organizations, our quality of life.
  5. Better Variety
    Local businesses provide a wide variety of products and services, right here in our community. Many of these are "one-of-a-kind" businesses that provide our community with its own distinct character. The more people shop here, the more products and services will be available.
  6. Convenience Equals Savings
    Shopping locally saves you time and money. A shopping trip outside of our county costs you for every mile you drive, each way, and valuable time away from your home. Pocket the savings and treat your family to a night on the town!
  7. Green-Friendly
    Shopping locally reduces your gas consumption and pollution. Also, local stores help to sustain vibrant, walkable communities, reducing sprawl and the need for automobiles.
  8. Keeping Local Dollars in the Economy
    A 10% increase in spending in Monroe County would induce a total of $5.5 million in industry sales, 100 jobs and $3.5 million in new personal income.
  9. Local Character and Prosperity
    In an increasingly homogenized world, communities that preserve their one-of-a-kind businesses and distinctive character have an advantage in offering quality of life and unique experiences.
  10. Friends and Neighbors
    Local businesses are staffed by local residents, your friends and neighbors. You get better service from people you know and who know you. And, you can catch up on "what's new" with other customers as you shop.
  11. Non-profits receive greater support
    Monroe County non-profits, on average, receive 20% of their revenue from contributions and gifts. Your support of local businesses helps to ensure that they are able to continue their corporate giving to our local non-profits. Your own charitable gifts are a means of spending locally when you keep those donations in Monroe County.
  12. Community Well-Being
    Vote with your pocketbook! Monroe County matters to you, so let our businesses know that you want them to stay in our communities.
And for those of you who are more visual learners...


No comments:

Post a Comment