Monday, May 7, 2012

Milk

I'm back on dairy.  I gave up a lot of dairy a few weeks ago because three of my friends had said that they were concerned about the negative health effects of dairy.  So I stopped buying yogurt, cottage cheese, milk and decreased the amount of cheese we eat.  I've been drinking rice milk and the kids really liked it too.  I noticed that the side of the carton said that it was not meant to be an infant formula--duh!--but it also said to consult a dr before giving it to children under 5.  I have one of those.  Although I've read about the negative aspects of dairy and dairy products (I've even blogged about some of them I think!) I wasn't 100% comfortable with my decision to cut back so drastically on the dairy without REALLY researching it myself.  I felt like doing it while pregnant was taking a risk with my child's development and I felt the same thing about my toddler and my preschooler and my Big Guy.  Every diet-related change I have made for my family, from vegetarian, to organic, to soy intake has been VERY well planned and researched.  The truth is, I'm really tired.  I still have a long way to go (3 months) but I'm already feeling pregnant-pregnant, not the cute-pregnant or the just-pregnant.  I tried to take a short cut with my diet choices and I don't feel like it was the best choice.  This is not to say that in a few more weeks, I won't be back to blogging about how dairy is horrible for you and we're not touching the stuff, I'm just saying that I need to do a little more research and make an informed decision for ME.  So for now, I'm back to my greek yogurt for it's protein content and Hartzler's Milk and cottage cheese...but not in mass quantities.  I'm still working for my balanced diet.  After all, the MyPlate only has dairy as a small little circle up in the corner!

1 comment:

  1. Dairy tastes good but is bad for me. Jenna eats ice cream in front of me.

    ReplyDelete