Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Belief-O-Matic

I don't know that this is really very "green" but I think it's a fun website and quiz.  I found it when I was in graduate school and I was surprised by the results I got.  It's from Beliefnet.com and it's a quiz that asks you 18 questions about your beliefs and then matches you with religions based on your answers.  The quiz is the belief-o-matic.  I liked the questions in the quiz too, they were kind of thought-provoking.  I was given my top 27 religions ranging from a 100% match to 26% match.  When I clicked on my 100% match, (which was NOT what I was expecting it to be!), I was surprised to find that according the the summary of  beliefs of the faith, it DID fit with what I think!  I got some of my classmates to take this quiz when I was in school and it was a great lunchtime conversation topic.  A few of them had very strong beliefs toward one religion or another and it was interesting to see what other matches the quiz gave them.  It doesn't take long, and it also links you to a little bit about what some of the religions you may have a match with believe (just in case you don't know the difference between Mahayana Buddhist and Theravada Buddhism). 
The site itself is a great resource as well.  I know the neighbors down the street are Jehovah's Witnesses, but I wasn't really sure what they believed, so I checked it out on Beliefnet.  When my kids were asking my why their friends down the street weren't celebrating Christmas, it gave me a little more direction in helping them understand others' views.  I also used it to learn a little more about Scientology...because who DOESN'T want to learn more about THAT?!?! 
I think part of parenting is raising moral kids. I think helping them understand different faiths and different views is part of shaping their moral character and makes them a more understanding and considerate adult. 
**There's also a Politic-O-Matic that will match you with a political party.  I'm off to check that out right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment