Wednesday, June 27, 2012

All Sunscreens Are Not Created Equal...And Why You Should Care

I read an article in Kiwi Magazine about  sunscreen.  I found an article on Healthy Child Healthy World.  Ellie's plastic surgeon was telling me how important it is to use sunscreen on her scar...enough signs that I need to blog about sunscreen???  I agree.  So here's the sunscreen blog.
I was going to cut and paste some excerpts from the article, but I thought I'd just hit the main points from them.  I HIGHLY recommend checking out he EWG sunscreen database. I was surpised how many "safe" sunscreens actually rated a 7! 

1. Creams are better than sprays.  Mostly because the sprays breaks the sunscreen down into tiny particles and then you breath it.  Crushed?  I was too.  I LOVE the spray!  It's so much faster than the cream...but I do agree that it's hard to breathe when you're applying it, especially to 3 kids and myself!

2.  Read the ingredient list.  I know this comes as no surprise to you, but what you want to be looking for are the ingredients zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, Mexoryl SX or avobenzone (3%).  Avoid, oxybenzone (it's a hormone disruptor) and Vitamin A (which CAUSES cancer...isn't that why you're putting sunscreen on in the first place? To AVOID cancer?!?).  As usual steer clear of dyes and fragrances.

3. Don't Get Fooled by SPF.  Sun Protection Factor.  100 is twice as good as 50, right?  Wrong.  After 30, it a marginal increase (97% at 30 and 98% at 50) and after 50 it's pretty much all the same.  Sorry. Evan.  My husband SWEARS this is false.  I understand his hesitation to buy into this...the man got burned in October, helping his cousin move.  That's right, walking to and from a moving van.  I will continue to buy the highest SPF, just to make him feel better, knowing that it's really a marketing. 

4. Look for Broad Spectrum protection  You want protection from both UVA and UVB rays.  The UVA rays are the ones that cause fine lines and wrinkles, while the UVB rays are the ones that cause sunburn.  Make sure your sunscreen says "Broad Spectrum" on it.  This is an FDA-regulated term so it means it is guaranteed to have both UVA and UVB protection. 

For more information (from a more reliable source than me!) check out the Environmental Working Group's Sunscreen page.  They have safety tips, Hall of Shame, and my favorite, the Sunscreen Database.

No comments:

Post a Comment