Friday, June 22, 2012

Healthy Child Healthy World: My New Favorite Website

As I mentioned before, I attended a Kiwi College Webinar on Wednesday called Keeping Your Family Safe From Toxins.   I was afraid it was going to be stuff I already knew, and it pretty much was, but it was important stuff that I needed to hear again.  For example, the Dirty Dozen.  I know about the Dirty Dozen and I can name most of them, but it's always good for me to review them yet AGAIN so I can commit another one on the list to memory.  (In actuality, it's not a big deal for me to remember them since ALL of the produce I buy is organic.)  But there was one statistic that he gave, right at the beginning that shocked me the way the first book I read about the pervasiveness of toxins in our lives did : Over 80,000 chemicals have been invented since the 1950s.  There are  200 foreign chemicals in our children's system AT BIRTH. 20% of these chemicals are untested as to their effects on our children.  He (Dr. Philip Landrigan, M.D)  then showed the slide with a graph of what this really means to our kids.  To summarize (if you click on the first link in this blog, you can watch the presentation, and as I said, this info is right at the beginning) asthma rates have more than doubled since 1982.  That's scary, I hope my kids don't get asthma, but my little brother had asthma and I know it's a disease I could live with.  Then he showed the slide that shows the incidence of Childhood Leukemia.
It too, has had a steady increase in the last 30 years.  I'm not ok with this.  Leukemia is NOT a disease I can watch my child live with...because they won't. (Actually, he also said that the death rate from childhood leukemia has decreased because of better treatment options, but that's not a good enough guarantee for me.) 
I'm now back on my mission to get rid of the toxins in and around my home.  The good news is, I've already done a lot of the work since I've been working on this for a few years.  I realized, after listening to his presentation, that I've gotten lax in some areas, cosmetics, sunscreen, herbicides on the lawn and patio, for example.  So I'm re-motivated. The webinar was presented by Healthy Child Healthy World so I thought I'd check out their website to get more into as to how else I can eliminate toxins from my home, and reduce that 200 number in my kids.  WOW!  What a great resource! I've embedded their video here, just to give you an idea of what they're about...and why you should care.  
( I was told the embedded video didn't show up, so you can view it from YouTube here.)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PxYLWQ_pL1I?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No comments:

Post a Comment