Wednesday, June 6, 2012

MyPlate--The Board Game?

I know, it seems odd, but it's really pretty cool!  A friend of mine found it at a teacher resource store and bought it for us.  It's a preschool-based game, but my toddler and my soon-to-be-second grader had fun playing it too.  Each player gets MyPlate place mat.  It's divided into the food groups.  There are 50 food cut-outs with a picture of the food and the name of the food on the back.  The backs of the food cut-outs are color-coordinated with the food groups so kids can check their answers.  You spin the spinner, land on a food group, take, or give.  If you get a food group, you select a food from that food group from the pile of food in the middle.  If you get a give or a take you either give one of your foods away to another player or take another player's food.  Before the crying and food throwing started, my kids had a great time playing this game. 
I was surprised how hard it was for them, even my oldest, to determine which foods go in which group.  Protein seemed to be the hardest for them, which I guess makes sense because you don't ever really talk about eating a protein.  It was a great learning tool and I'm excited to play it again, hopefully without tears!

No comments:

Post a Comment