Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Pool Snacks

It's pool time!  We went to the pool for the first time this summer on Sunday.  We have a pass and I plan on spending quite a bit of time outside at the pool this summer.  We went right before lunch and left at lunchtime so we didn't have to eat there, but it made me think about pool snacks.  I'd forgotten how hard it is to pack healthy snacks for my kids to eat at the pool!  I don't want to spend the money, or eat the unhealthy food that they have at the snack bar, so it's time to brainstorm what foods can sit in the hot sun for hours.  The first thing I thought of was cheese, because what food tastes better than cheese when it's been sitting in the sun?!?  But really I needed to sit down and brainstorm how to keep my kids fed at the pool, while not cultivating botulism. 
So here's My List of Healthy Pool Snacks:
  1. apples 
  2. peanut butter and jelly (or honey) sandwiches or roll-ups work
  3. dry cereal
  4. raisins
  5. baby carrots
  6. Annie's Crackers, 
  7. Seapoint Farms prepackages (not so green, but reasonably healthy, depending on your side of the soy debate) Dora (shelled) or Spongebob (unshelled) edamame (I usually pack them frozen and let them thaw in the cooler)
  8. Stonyfield Farms Squeezers Yogurt, frozen (this helps to keep other items cool, but needs to be the first snack eaten!)
  9. Trail Mix (I LOVE the bulk bins at the Raisin Rack for this!)
  10. berries (if the boys have left the rest of the family any!)

No comments:

Post a Comment