Friday, June 8, 2012

Way to Go Disney!

A few days ago my husband sent me a link to an article he found about Disney banning junk food ads in their programming.  Today I got a Slow Food newsletter and it had the same topic in it.  I figured it was a sign and that I should probably blog about it. 
So here's the link to the article, if you'd like to read it yourself.   Basically it says that Disney is going to ban junk food in their programs and radio advertising spots by 2015.  They are going to have a Mickey-Check logo that will be on products indicating that they meet the guidelines.  "The guidelines give specific standards. Breakfast cereals, for example, should have no more than 130 calories and fewer than 10 grams of sugar per ounce."  Not too bad.  I don't know what the other standards are, but I like the fact that Disney is working to battle childhood obesity...and in the process teaching kids what foods are healthy.  I think the best part of it all is that it's DISNEY.  They're such a huge name and when they're on board, I think a lot of other companies will follow.  HOPEFULLY their standards are high, but they're working with Michelle Obama, so I'm hoping they're in line with the ChooseMyPlate initiative.  Good luck Disney!

No comments:

Post a Comment