Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Last Night's Dinner

We had our (and by our I mean the kids, mostly Ellie) favorite dinner last night--breakfast.  I made french toast, eggs and peppers and mixed berries with orange juice to drink.  I don't usually put too much thought into the ingredients I use to prepare a meal...I do that at the grocery store, but when I stepped back and looked at how I had prepared our dinner, I was very pleased with what I fed my family.  The berry trio (strawberries, raspberries and blueberries) were all organic, as were the eggs, peppers (the jalapeno and green pepper were actually from our garden!) and onions .  The vanilla and milk I used to make the dip for the french toast were organic...the only non organic parts of our meal were the sugar I added to the french toast mix, the cinnamon in the mix, the bread (although it was HFCS free) and the OJ (I can't find one that's not from concentrate and Evan doesn't really like it, plus is doesn't have calcium added, which I need right now.  We buy Simply Orange, which doesn't have anything in the ingredient list that I can't pronounce.).
I felt really good about the level of organic food in this meal...the fact that's a hit and the kids actually eat it was also a bonus.  One of the best ways to keep food costs down, especially when eating organic, is to make a meat-free meal.  (As I'm writing this I'm realizing that dinner wasn't really meat free because I did also server organic bacon, which Abby got out of the trash and made a HUGE mess today...HAVE to remember to lock the trash when we leave!!)  Breakfast for dinner is an easy meal to make meat-free though, and it generally is in our house, mostly because I forget to buy a breakfast meat to serve.  So if you're looking for a meatless option for one day a week, (which is also a great way to help the planet!)  don't forget about the most important meal of the day...even if it's served for dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment