Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Sleep

I don't have insomnia.  It's actually the exact opposite for me.  My husband and I joke about the sleep monster that visits me when I'm watching TV.  One minute I'm fine, the next, I'm out.  He is not so lucky.  So when I found this article on natural methods to beat insomnia, I decided to do a blog for Evan.
He's tried over-the-counter sleep aids before, and didn't like how they made him feel.  So I'm hoping that one of these will work for him. 
The first suggestion is acupuncture. I had to BEG him to go to the doctor when he fractured his foot, so I'm pretty sure this is out of the question for Evan, but for those of you who are a interested, the author says that this worked well for her.

The second suggestion is to eat a healthy diet.  Avoiding too much caffeine, sugary and processed foods, eat magnesium rich foods ( leafy green vegetables, pumpkin, sesame or sunflower seeds, salmon and halibut) and drinking chamomile tea are some suggestions.  Chamomile tea is on my grocery list, Ev!

Third, she suggests relaxation techniques like Yoga or massage therapy.  I know Evan would be on board with the massage therapy, but it can get a little pricey, so sorry on that front Ev!

Lastly, she suggests buying a natural sleep aid that contains valarian.  It's not supposed to have the same side effects that traditional sleep aides do.  This is another option that might work for us.

Hopefully, we'll be able to find something that works for Evan, so the sleep monster can visit him too.
 The sleep monster got Vince at the beach last summer.

1 comment:

  1. Valarian is very powerful. You can buy Valarian Root tea but he may feel groggy in the morning. Valarian has a similar composition to Valium. Also Valarian Root tea kind of smells like dirt, its taste is not as bad but the smell can be offputting.

    Other things Evan could consider are guided mediation. I use one when I can't sleep. You can find a ton on itunes.

    He should also be mindful of what he does 1 to 2 hours before bed. Being on the computer until lights out can be problematic. There is research that the light from computers induce insomnia.

    www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36828043/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/t/ipad-could-cause-insomnia-researchers-say/

    ReplyDelete