Friday, July 27, 2012

The Honest Company

I got an email from a friend yesterday telling me about Jessica Alba's baby products.  She was sure I'd heard of them, but actually, they were new to me.  So I went to the website and checked it out.  It's pretty cool!  It turns out that it's more that just baby products, although there are a lot of those too. 

It was founded by actress Jessica Alba and Christopher Gavigan, former CEO of Healthy Child Healthy World.  Their goal was to create products that are safer for our families.  I read a little bit of their blog (which can be found on their website and some pretty cool posts!) and noticed that they just received their B Corporation Certification.  Never heard of it?  Me neither, but, "the “B” stands for benefit, which represents a new breed of businesses that harness their power and resources for public good. This designation is much like a Fair Trade or LEED certification and signals that we are committed to making a profound social difference, safeguarding people and the planet, and meeting higher standards of transparency, performance, and accountability."  This is always a plus in looking for greener products!

Using my limited research skills, I typed The Honest Company into The Environmental Working Group's Cosmetic Database to see how they scored.  Only 7 of their products were listed, but their scores ranged from 0-2..FANTASTIC!  So I was interested in checking it out further. 


Now for the fun stuff.  When you go to the website and sign up, you'll be eligible for a free trial of either their diaper bundle or their family essentials bundle.  All you pay is the shipping, but you're automatically signed up for auto-ship every month.  I don't really need the diapers (no one in diapers here...at least for the next few days!) but the Family Essentials bundle interested me.  It  contains 5 products of your choice every month (they can be customized each month!) and they range from personal care products like shampoo and body oil and bubble bath to household products, like laundry and dish detergent, surface cleaner and hand sanitizer.  At first I thought it was set what you got, but to be able to choose...that's kind of cool!  All products are animal safe and organic and made in the USA.  The diapers (you can research them for yourself by clicking here) are chlorine free, biodegradable, plant-based and come in SUPER cute prints!  If I didn't use cloth...

You can also buy the products individually, without doing the monthly bundle, but you'll save 35% by bundling, just FYI.  I was looking at the prices, which are supposed to be affordable for families and as far as organic, green products go, they look to be about in line with others that I buy.  I also like that they list all the ingredients on the website!  Their sunscreen contains only "8 organic, natural, and edible-grade ingredients".  FINALLY a sunscreen I can eat!

I can't endorse these products, since I've know about them for only a few hours and never actually SEEN or used any of them, but they look interesting.  I'd feel good about using them on my family.  I'm seriously considering signing up for the Family Essentials Bundle.  I wasn't sure if I'd actually go through 5 of those products each month, but the way Caden's been adding water to our shampoo, I might just need to order MORE than 5!  Also, they're delivered to my door...am I REALLY willing to give up time shopping with all 3 kids in the grocery store?  OK, that seals it.  I'm signing up!   I'll let you know how it goes!

THANKS LAVON!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment