Monday, March 4, 2013

Haymaker Farmer's Market

I did it!  After an entire year of SAYING I was going to go to the Winter Farmer's Market in Kent, I actually made it!  I wasn't disappointed!  Easily better than the Canton Farmers Market, even in the summer (which I have to say I haven't been to in 2 years.)  I only took $40 with me so I didn't spend a ton, and I came home with only a few ones, but a bag full of food!  It's a small market (it's indoors) but I felt like every booth was a real contribution to the market.  There were only a few booths selling homemade goods, which I know some people like, but I'm there to get some fresh, local produce, not just novelty-kind of food.  I took all the kids and my mom (by taking her with me I wasn't able to bail at the last minute because I didn't feel like getting up and out the door at 9:15 on a Saturday).  The little kids liked it, Caden sat on the couch and played with his "phone" the entire time, my mom plans to go back and I'm really excited to see if everything tastes as good as it looks.
Here's what was in my bag:
Honey and eggs from Black Dog Acres, two boneless, skinless chicken breasts from Pleasant Valley Poultry, Heirloom beans from Breakneck Acres, Arugula from Rootstown Organic Farm, cheese from grassfed cows (I got it for Evan and he ate some last night and threw out the package before I could copy down the name), apples (they didn't come in a package and I forgot the name of the farm).

There were also a few bread booths, which I'm going to try next time.  Breakneck acres was also selling flours which I like to try when I need to get more.  My mom bought each of the kids a cookie--which even Caden was enthusiastic about!  I had fun.  I felt good about shopping locally and supporting small farms in my area.  Tonight I'm having bean soup and making the chicken for Evan.  Hopefully everything tastes as good as it looks!

No comments:

Post a Comment