Friday, March 1, 2013

Recipe Friday: Baked Ginger-Orange Tofu

I love this recipe!  My mom used to make Chicken and Orange Biscuits when I was a kid and I LOVED it.  Now, I've adapted the original recipe (which called for 1/2 C of butter) to adapt to this one.  I bake the tofu in one dish with the chicken and biscuits (cresents) in another.  I just double the sauce recipe for this one and pour it ove the chicken as it bakes, then add the cresecnts for the last 15 minutes of baking.  It's an easy way to make a vegetarian and meat meal in one.  This recipe comes from The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook by Cathe Olson.  I've changed it a little to fit my own tastes. 

Baked Ginger-Orange Tofu

1 lb firm tofu
1/4 C orange marmalade
1/4 C boiling water
1 TBSP soy sauce
1 TBSP orange juice
1 TBSP minced fresh ginger or 1/2 tsp powdered
1 TBSP sesame seeds

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Oil a 9 inch square baking dish.  Wrap tofu in a dish towel and place a plate or cutting board on top of it with a can to add weight (this helps to press out excess water).  Mic marmalade with boiling water until smooth.  Add soy sauce, juice and ginger and stir well. 
Unwrap the tofu and cut in into 1 inch cubes (or slices, however you prefer.)  Toss the cubes with the sauce then spread the cubes out in the prepared dish and top with the sauce.  Sprinke sesame seeds over top and bake for 30 minutes.  Serve with rice, millet, quinoa or rice noodles.  You can also add a second batch of the sauce and stir fry some veggies to make it a whole meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment