Thursday, March 14, 2013

It's Time to Start My Garden!

The time has finally come!  I've been looking forward to this since last fall--planing time!  It's still too cold and early to put anything in the ground, but according to SproutRobot, it's time to start sprouting some seeds indoors.  Leeks, broccoli, tomatoes and bell peppers are on the list for this week.  Next week is eggplant.  I'm so excited!   I've been getting organic seeds at Target and Wal-Mart and I'm all ready to get started. This will be the first year that I've sprouted seeds indoors before. I got a seed greenhouse from Target and I'm going to have the kids help me plant. My major concern was that I didn't have room to put something like that where it would get full sun. Then I realized that if I involve the kids, I can put it on the train table. I think they'll really like having it down on their level, where they can keep a close eye on the sprouts. It will also be a good way to get them more involved in the planting process, making the seeds "theirs". 
For my birthday I told my dad I want garden stuff, so he's going to help me make a raised bed or two  and we're going to go to Anthony Petitti Garden Center and see what they have.  I've never been there before, but Dad said they have a lot of organics.  I'm going to have to start mapping out where I'm going to plant everything and decided where the raised beds are going to go and what I'm going to put in them.  I found a really cute little planter at Magic Cabin that's raised from the ground to kid level and I'd LOVE to get that for Ellie so she can plant her own flower garden, but the price was a little steep.  I'll have to look and see if there's something comparable at the garden center.  She has a little fairy garden, which ususally has an herb and a flower but I'd like to give her a little more garden this year because I think she's ready for it.  I have to watch to make sure I don't make the garden too big, I still need to make room for the chicken coop!

No comments:

Post a Comment