Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Happy Earth Day! Grow Something!

Happy Earth Day!  I'm so excited that Earth Day is starting to bridge into Earth Month!  Today the kids and I went outside to play--the best way to celebrate a beautiful (albeit windy) Earth Day.  I also registered for a program at the North Canton Public Library called Container Gardening today.  (Click here to register.)  With the new house and new yard and not really knowing what to expect in the way of sun/shade and trying to work with the grass, I've decided not to grow a garden this year.  The thought of not having ANY fresh produce in my yard is too much for me, so I've decided to do some container gardening, however, I've never done any container gardening so I thought this free class would be a great way to learn the basics.
Here's the blurb about the class from the library's webpage. "Join Master Gardener and owner of Harvest Home Greenhouse, Connie Greathouse, as she discusses the merits of container gardening.May 6, 2014 @ 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm"

I've gotten mulch from Harvest Home Greenhouse for the past 6 years and picked up lots of herbs and other plants there as well.  I'm always impressed with their selection. They were the only place I could find peppermint for my Soothing Mint Soup that I love so much.  When I pulled up their Facebook page to link it here, I was thrilled with all the great resources she's posted.  There's one about growing potatoes, one on garden planning, controlling pests, preventing weeds with ground cover--tons great ideas!

There's also a follow up class Container Gardening 2 the following week, but I think that interferes with some kid activity--I'm losing my mind trying to keep track of who needs to be where at what time this spring--so I don't think I can make it.

Happy Earth Day!  Enjoy the spring and get ready for planting!

No comments:

Post a Comment