Tuesday, April 15, 2014

My Tuesday in the Kitchen

I was thinking of some kind of informative blog about something new and green, but I decided that on this snowy spring Tuesday, all I was going to do was blog about my day.  I'm feeling really green today.  First, we left the house and went to the Y to exercise.  The kids LOVE to go to the Y.  Olivia has grown attached to one of the Child Care staff members and Vince just likes to go and play with other kids.  This new exercise routine is fantastic.  I feel so much better, in the same way that eating a healthier diet after I've been eating junk makes me feel fantastic.

Tonight for dinner we are having Chicken Noodle Soup and Healthier Ramen Soup, with a salad.  I thought soup would be good on a cold, snowy day.
 I roast chickens for the omnivores quite a bit so I always have leftover chicken in the freezer.  I've been saving the bones for a few months so today I decided to make chicken stock.  It's simmering on the stove now, getting all ready to make Chicken Noodle Soup this evening.  The Healthier Ramen is something I'm trying for the first time this week.  It's from Weelicious Menus.  If it's a keeper, I'll post it for Recipe Friday.

Since soup and salad seemed a little light for a dinner, I thought I'd make some bread as well.  I've got a ball of Challah rising, waiting for Vince to punch it down so we can braid it, let it rise again and bake it.  I usually wrap it in a circle so instead of cutting it, we all just pull of chunks.  The kids seem to like this better than slices.  I ran out of unbleached flour, so we're giving it a try with whole wheat. Healthier yes, but I hope it's not too dense.

Boring as it sounds, I'm really enjoying my Tuesday in the kitchen.  Homemade stock and soup and fresh baked bread- *sigh*- so "natural".

No comments:

Post a Comment