Friday, June 3, 2011

Greening my summer housework

So now that the weather is warmer I have to stop being lazy and get my clothes outside to . My new HE washer really does a great job spinning the water out so I'm excited to see how much faster they dry compared to last year. Last year I had two collapsible drying racks that I would bring in when it rained or when I wasn't using them. If it was too windy they would blow over...blah blah blah... I need to try something different this year. This will have to be my new research project!

Another way I save money and try to be greener is by using cloth napkins. I actually MADE most of the napkins we use, which was surprisingly easy and fun. I took the kids to Jo-Ann's and let the each pick out a fabric that they liked. We ended up with pirates and pink butterflies. I also bought some green gingham and some tan cotton. I'm not real adept with he swing machine so it was great practice for me. I was surprised how easily they cleaned up--none of them are really stained. It's also one less item to buy at the store!

After I posted yesterday about houseplants I decided to get my son's kindergarten teachers plants as gifts. I let him pick. They got Venus Fly Traps, which I think is a fitting gift from a 6-year-old boy. While were at the store I also bought a rescue plant--a sad looking snake plant that was on sale for $3--and my biggest purchase--a money tree! I went to get a weeping fig, since I had done all my research and knew how to care for it, how much light it needed, where to put it, and that it's one of the best for purifying the air, but when I got there, no weeping figs. So I went with the Money Tree because it said resilient on the tag. Hopefully it's true. I bought a pretty blue and red glazed pot and re-potted it last night. It's such a great addition to our living room! It looks way better than the pack and play that it replace. Who would have thought? Hopefully it thrives!

No comments:

Post a Comment