Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Guilty Conscious

Last night I went to the grocery store to buy "supplies" for our little trip to Sesame Place (I'm still trying to find water shoes so if anyone has any suggestions...). Despite my post yesterday about Sesame Place going green, I'm now realizing that this is not going to be a green trip for us. I've decided to not do cloth while we're gone. I'm going to use Seventh Generation diapers and wipes, both of which are
  • Free of Chlorine Processing
  • Free of Fragrances & Latex
  • Free of Petroleum Based Lotions
  • Hypoallergenic
These are what I consider to be the best of the worst. I feel a little guilty about not using cloth since it's not THAT long of a trip, but then I think about a dirty diaper that will be sitting in a hot car from Sunday until Tuesday...and my skin starts to crawl. I also bought snacks for the car, and while I made a conscious effort to not get prepackaged snacks with a lot of excess packaging, I did get some. However, I did take the extra time to read all the packages to make sure that I didn't get anything with HFCS! So at least I feel good about that! I tried my best to get natural and organic products and I'm taking a bag of apples to snack on (that counts for SOMETHING, right?).
Eating on the road is generally a problem for us as well. Not only are restaurants hard to manage with 3 little kids, there aren't always a lot of good vegetarian options. I don't really care...I can make do, but with my little guy not eating meat, it's hard. Most kids' menu options are basically junk. It's so frustrating since all I'm trying to do is feed my kids something that's reasonably healthy--is that REALLY so much to ask for a place that specializes in providing food?? We'll have to see how this little trip goes. In August, we're taking a longer trip to the Outer Banks. This will REALLY be a long car ride and will DEFINITELY need meals on the go. So I guess our Sesame Place getaway is kind of a trial run.

No comments:

Post a Comment