Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Replacement for Mothering Magazine?

Today I got a sample magazine in the mail since my beloved Mothering magazine decided to go web-based. It's Natural Life and I'm really excited to check it out. I was so upset when I got the notice that Mothering was no longer going to be in print. It was the only magazine that I subscribed to and I looked forward to reading it each month. It was oddly predictive of what I was going through...cloth diapering, Mothering had an article. Anger Issues... Mothering had an article. Potty training, well, you get the picture. I also found it motivating to keep striving to continue to do the natural living practices I was currently using as well as improve by adopting something else that was mentioned in the magazine. They always seemed to have someone who was the extreme, like the family living in a bus with no running water. I'm striving to be ultra-green, but even that's beyond where I want to be!

So I'm hoping that Natural Life can fill the void that Mothering left. So far it looks good. The three cover articles are "Living Green With Toddlers" (sounds PERFECT for me!), "Home Birth Triumph" (A topic I'm intrigued by. If you haven't checked out the movie The Business of Being Born look it up--I found it fascinating!), and lastly "Accidental Beekeeping" (oddly enough, I LOVE bees). We may have a winner!

2 comments:

  1. Now that you've been receiving it for a while what do you think? My babies were raised while Mothering was my nursing chair companion. Now that my oldest is having a baby of his own I wanted to get a gift subscription for them and found that they no longer do print :(. My son and his wife don't have a computer and would probably not seek out a magazine like this on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only got a few issues...it wasn't that great, not like Mothering. I did kind of like Kiwi, but it's a little less "hippie" than Mothering was, but still has some good stuff.

    ReplyDelete