Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Sunny Days

We're planning a trip to Sesame Place over the 4th of July. I was buying my daughter shoes on Friday when I overheard someone say they were going. I saw the Jon and Kate episode when they took their kids and it looked cool. So I checked it out. It IS cool! So since my husband took the 5th off, I thought it might be fun to go over the 4th, plus they have fireworks! This is new to me. I don't plan vacations. We don't take vacations in less my in-laws are taking us with them. And I don't do things on a whim. My college roommate used to tease me about my research. She said she never met anyone who did so much research before they bought something as simple as foundation. So I'm a little stressed, but also really excited. I've been asking around and I have yet to hear anyone say anything but this is the best vacation they've ever taken with their kids. I was worried that my 6 year old might be too old and think it was "babyish" but he heard the words "water slides" and he's out in the car now with his seat belt on, ready to go! So why is this relevant to a blog about being green?? (Umm, did you read yesterday's post...skunks? I clearly go off-topic!) I've actually been reading every inch of Sesame Place's website and when I found a link that said "Going Green" of course I clicked on it! How cool! They're not doing a TON, but it's still great that they're not only making a conscious effort to be green, but they're also advertising it, which to me means that there are enough people out there who CARE! So what are they doing, you ask?!
  • Sesame Place was designated Groundwater Guardian Green Site for 2009.
  • Sesame Place’s Culinary Department provides napkins that are made from 100% recycled fiber, are 100% bleach free and utilize biodegradable vegetable based inks. Seafood that has been certified sustainable by either the MSC or ACC. Rainforest Alliance approved coffee. Soda cups that, while not biodegradable, meet the ASTM standard for compostability.
  • The landscaping at Sesame Place uses composting and a technique called Lasagna Gardening; layers of wet newspapers, soil and organic material make rich beds for plants.
  • In addition to flowers and plants, more recycling containers for park guests are growing up all over the park. Even though Oscar loves trash, Sesame Place loves to recycle; bottles, cans and paper bins are visible throughout the park, making it easy for everyone to pitch in.
I love the landscaping thing! So now that I feel I have a "green" getaway, I can relax...as soon as I get water shoes for the whole family, but snacks for the 8 hr trip there, pack for 5...

No comments:

Post a Comment