Thursday, June 9, 2011

Home Schooling

One of the topics that I have come across many times in my natural parenting reading is home schooling. Being a trained teacher, I'm not a big fan of home schooling. Besides the standard socialization argument, I also realize that teaching a child requires training. Having worked with parents who are home schooling through the digital academy I work with, I know that not everyone has that training. (I will say that's one of the things I like best about digital schools, there's a trained teacher working with all students and overseeing coursework.) You don't ever hear about anyone home dentisting (OK, well there was that one segment on the Daily Show, but that guy was NUTS!) So I guess my point is, it's not as easy as it looks. BUT, schools only are in session for 9 months out of the year, which leaves 3 months for my kids to backslide. And I've decided I'm not going to let that happen! So I'm home schooling this summer. We started a little today (I'm already behind!) and I was surprised how little effort my daughter put into it. She goes to a cooperative preschool, so I'm in the classroom with her every few weeks and I know for a fact that at school she puts forth WAY more effort. But I'm mom. And we're at home. Another home schooling road block! My son did better. We're working in Raz-Kids that his Kindergarten teacher set up. It's going well, but I don't feel that he's comprehensive literacy instruction, plus we're not hitting any math. So I'll have to supplement. Looks like I'll be heading out to the Wise Owl for some materials and ideas. Now it's starting to become a little more clear to me why all these natural parenting magazines touch on this topic so much. Teaching is my "thing". I know how to teach an entering first grader to read, I've done it 40 times before, but it's hard when I'm also trying to get the house work done, run errands, and take care of three other kids. I think this will be a good opportunity for me to try to open my mind to a different way of thinking about school--although I'm still pretty biased and I'm 100% sure my son will be going to first grade next year--and NOT at our dining room table!

No comments:

Post a Comment