Sunday, March 18, 2012

It's What's For Dinner

Since I've been reading this book, The Unhealthy Truth, I've changed my dinner planning. I usually sit down once a week, plan dinners for the week and make a grocery list. This week, as I was planning, I decided I was going to COOK since I've been reading about all the dangers in processed foods and I'm going to make a conscious effort to try to reduce the amount of soy my family eats...which from reading boxes is going to to be harder than I thought! I've decided to start making our bread again, much to my husband's dismay, I'm sure. I read the list of ingredients and I feel a lot better feeding my family bread with only 6 ingredients that I know are natural and organic, than grabbing a loaf which doesn't contain high-fructose corn syrup, but DOES contain a two inch long ingredient list on the label!
In addition to cooking, I'm planning the meals differently. I'm going to use the new food pyramid, MyPlate, and make sure my family's plates are divided into about equal quarters of veggies, fruit, grains and protein. As usual, I'm struggling with the grains...why is it so hard to find good rice recipes?!?! For this week, I think I'm doing ok. Next week I'll try to delete even more processed foods from our diets, I'm thinking breakfasts, and see how it goes. I think if I work at this slowly, and I've BEEN working on it for awhile, so it's not like we've been eating nuggets and mac n cheese every night, I can transform our family meals into something I feel comfortable with. Maybe THEN I can read books about the dangers of our food supply and feel GOOD about what my family eats. Of course, I think I might need to quadruple the size of our backyard garden and buy a few chickens and goats for that to REALLY happen, but for now, I'll start with homemade bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment