Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Misconceptions

I went to a Pampered Chef party last night. The hostess had a really nice, healthy meal for us, then the presentation, which included making dessert. (By the way, the main course was wraps. She used a Pampered Chef pan, but I have a similar one. She bought some of those Flat-Out flat breads then stuffed them with ham and cheese and roasted veggies, rolled them up and put them in a grill pan/press. I didn't really think about doing that, but what a great dinner that works for everyone in my family!) The part I'm blogging about was the dessert. First, let me mention that the Pampered Chef consultant was also a consultant for something else I've never heard of, but the way she explained it it was basically vitamins, supplements, protein shakes, that kind of thing. She also mentioned multiple times that her daughter was a dietician. Just background knowledge. ANYWAY, as she's making the dessert, a Strawberry Shortcake Trifle, she added strawberries, that prepackaged strawberry filling, pudding mix, sugar-free yogurt, store bought pound cake, almonds, and whipped topping. I assume it tasted good from everyone's reaction, but my cold is so bad I couldn't really taste anything. So here's the part that really got me. As she was serving the dessert, a woman who's daughter is a dietician and who sells supplements, she told us it was healthy because our hostess had used sugar-free yogurt. I bit my tongue. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! That's WAY worse for you!! I was so surprised to hear from someone that I THOUGHT would have known better that this dessert was healthy. I know the goal of this was to show off the products, not create a healthy dessert, my point is that after all we hear and see, people are still so confused as to what IS good for you. She was talking about low glycemic index and blah blah blah, it's so sad that it's so hard to actually figure out what you should be eating. Gluten-Free, vegan, raw dairy, soy, low carb, low fat, sugar free, the "superfoods"...everyone seems to have THE answer. I think we can all agree that the trifle was unhealthy (but it's dessert, it's SUPPOSED to be a little bad for you...otherwise we just call it a side dish!) but after that... I guess I'll just stick to my great new dinner idea of making stuff-you-own-wraps, keep reading as much as I can, and complaining about it all on here!

No comments:

Post a Comment