Thursday, April 5, 2012

Naturally Dyed Easter Eggs

Tomorrow I wrote on the calendar that we need to dye eggs. Every year I forget and the day before Easter I'm trying to quickly boil and color. This year I'm planning ahead--and buying white eggs! Last year I forgot that all my organic eggs are brown...dying brown eggs doesn't work well at all. (I also got a tip from a friend that Eggland's Best eggs have a stamp on each egg--I'll remember not to get those!) So I was thinking about how to color eggs naturally, and I'm sure there's some kind of natural Easter Egg dye out there that you can buy prepackages, but I was looking for a way to actually not use chemicals to color my eggs. I found it, but I'm not doing it. It's DOES look like it might be fun, but I don't have the time or the resources to do it this year. For example, for pink you use beets--which makes sense, but you need 4 cups of diced beets. If I have 4 cups of beets, I'm going to eat them, not waste them on coloring eggs that will probably get thrown away anyway. I'll link the info anyway, so you can check it out, but it's not for me. Not this year anyway. This year I'm going to green our Easter by not dying a ton of eggs, because, like I said, they don't really get eaten in our house. I'm also going to tone down the basket. No junk toys this year and not much candy. I don't really have anything yet (tonight is my Target trip while my daughter is at dance) but I know I'm going to get a "good" small toy for each of them, a few pieces of candy and as few other things as possible to fill the basket. They're still young enough not to really care about WHAT they get. It's still about the magic of the Easter bunny and hunting for a treasure. (That's our secular Easter--I know neither of those things is REALLY what Easter is about, but my kids don't and and I'm fine with that!)

No comments:

Post a Comment