Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Play Date

Ever once in awhile I feel GOOD about what I'm doing! It's not very often. Mostly I'm reading something that's telling me how WONDERFUL everyone else is doing and how much I need to improve, but last week I had a small victory.
My son had a friend over during spring break. At lunch time I prepared my usual lunch for my kids when they're home. It's basically MyPlate-a fruit, a vegetable, a protein and a grain. I chose peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the grain and the protein (homemade wheat bread, organic pb and j.) I had a few choices for fruit, grapes, apple, banana, or kiwi. I called our guest in to choose his fruit, and he told me, "I don't eat any of that salad stuff for lunch." I was shocked. "OK," I said. "So do you want grapes, apple, banana or kiwi?" He REFUSED to pick a fruit. I buy all organic fruits and veggies so there was no way in hell I was going to give him a piece our precious organic knowing full well it was going right in the trash! So I gave up trying with the fruit and offered a few veggie choices then let it go. So what did I learn? At least my kids are getting their 5 a day (we watch a lot of PBS). I know that there's MORE I can do, but looking at that child and his eating habits, I at least know that I'm my kids the advantage of a healthy diet at an early age.

No comments:

Post a Comment