Monday, April 2, 2012

More on Soy...Ugggg!

I got my latest issue of Kiwi Magazine over the weekend and, as usual, I'm all excited about it! Almost every article had something I wanted to talk about in the blog, so I'll do my best to spread it out so this isn't just a Kiwi "Cliff Notes". The most interesting thing they had was an article on soy. After reading my latest book about how HORRIBLE soy was for you, this article says it also has some health benefits, which I think most people know. It did say that the isoflavonoids ARE estrogen mimics, but like other books and articles I've read, it said that in it's who form, organic and Non-GMO certified, it's not bad in moderation (25 grams a day). This makes more sense to me. I just had a hard time believing that soy was ALL bad. I know that drinking soy milk with a soy protein shake for breakfast and a soy-based hot dog for lunch and then "meat-free" soy burgers for dinner is probably not OK, but eating edemame every once in awhile and tofu and miso and soy sauce...it just seems like if it were all THAT bad then most of Asia would be in trouble...and would have been for generations, not the reverse...running into health problems now that they've adopted a more western diet. SO, I feel better about eating tofu occasionally, and edemame is my kids FAVORITE veggie, so I feel like I'm probably OK giving them that on occasion, but I'm still not serving soy milk and watching packaged products that contain soy, since those are going to be the "bad" soy. We are going to be guzzling rice milk in our house since I accidentally bought a sale carton...that has an expiration date of April 3rd. If only I hadn't had one kid pushing the cart all over and the other one who's diaper leaked and had pee all down his leg, walking like a cowboy. Maybe THEN I could have paid better attention to expiration dates! I'm already checking labels for HFCS, soy, parabens, ahhh, the grocery store with young children!

No comments:

Post a Comment