Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Soothing Mint Soup

I had a different blog post all prepared in my head that I've been mentally writing for the last few days, but then the weather turned so gross, and I had such a delightful lunch (isn't that such a fun literary term!?!? People in books are always having "delightful lunches".) that I decided to go with this recipe from The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook by Cathe Olson. I made it last night for dinner and then I was actually looking forward to having the leftovers today for lunch. It's SO fast to make, and it honestly is pretty soothing.
Ingredients:
4C vegetable stock
1 clove garlic, minced
1 TBSP peeled and MINCED fresh ginger (I didn't mince mine thoroughly enough and was eating big hunks of ginger...not so soothing!)
1 cinnamon stick
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1C peas, fresh or frozen
1/2 C tightly packed fresh peppermint leaves, chopped (I can't find peppermint so I just used the spearmint that's in my garden. I made a soup from this book earlier in the week and it called for mint also, but it was too strong so for this recipe, I just loosely packed a scant 1/2 cup with the chopped leaves.)
2 tsp soy sauce
2 eggs, lightly beaten with 1 TBSP water.

Directions:
In medium pan, heat stick, garlic, ginger and cinnamon stick over medium heat until it reaches a boil, then stir in the green onions, peas, mint and soy sauce. Simmer for 2 minutes. Pour in egg mixture in a thin stream around the outside of the pan and stir so the egg forms thing streamers (like egg drop soup). Remove from heat, discard cinnamon stick and enjoy this DELIGHTFUL dinner or lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment