Thursday, September 27, 2012

Dusting off the sewing machine

I had to get 3 things at the craft store.  I came out $60 poorer.  This always happens to me.  I didn't mean to buy the other stuff, but there it was.   I was looking for an applique butterfly for Olivia's Butterfly Fairy Halloween costume and I got lost in the wrong aisle.  I stumbled upon a gold-mine of do -it -yourself baby stuff.   It's called Babyville Boutique. (@ babyvilleboutiq)  There were two guides, one for cloth diapers and one that had lots of other pictures of projects, like headbands, diaper pail covers, burp cloths, placemats, etc.  I THOUGH I was going to get the patterns for the cloth diapers too, but I didn't read carefully so after I attempt my first project from the book, I'll have to go back to get the diaper patterns.  The company makes fabric (PUL, polyurethane laminate), appliques, elastic, snaps, everything you need to complete the super cute projects in the book. 


Now, first let me tell you, that I'm not a sewer.  I sewed some curtains for out house in Columbus.  I made most of our cloth napkins.  I made Ellie two dresses that involved sewing a single line down the back.  And that's it.  So I'm not sure how this is going to turn out. I've decided not to start with the diapers and go with something a  little easier, like a headband.  I need a new diaper pail liner so I'm going to attempt on of those too.  I'm also getting a new table in the next few weeks so I want to make some placemats for the kids too.  This pattern has loops for utensils, which I think is a great way to teach the older kids the proper way to set a table.  My plan for today, after I get my house clean, the laundry washed and Olivia fed, is to run back over to Jo-Ann Fabric (which has a WONDERFUL HR department) and get some materials to start one of these projects.  Hopefully I'll be able to leave with ONLY what I walked in to get...but they have all those Halloween decorations!

No comments:

Post a Comment