Monday, September 24, 2012

Jack Frost

Last night I had to get up out of bed at 12:00 to take care of my babies.  Not the babies, you're thinking of, my baby kale. 
I'm fanatical about checking the weather.  I check the weather app on the iPad or Ellie's iPod at least twice a day.  Yesterday, I noticed that there was a frost warning for last night.  I was originally worried about my peppers that were still on the vines, but then I realized my baby kale plant would stop growing once it frosted and while baby kale is supposed to be very tender, I don't think the 1/4 inch sprouts I have in my garden are what they mean by baby kale. 

Last night, as I was drifting off to sleep, I remembered that I needed to protect the last three things in my garden, my peppers, squash and kale.  I jumped out of bed, grabbed some old sheets and pillowcases and ran outside to cover up my plants.  On the way back in, I remembered how tuned into the weather I was at the beginning of the summer when all my plants were still small.  I checked the weather for rain, watered every night it was dry and kept a close eye on their growth.  I'm guessing that's what it's like to be a farmer.  I check the weather now, mostly so I know how to dress my kids for school, but when I think in terms of my plants, I guess I have more "kids" to worry about how the weather affects them.


No comments:

Post a Comment