Thursday, September 6, 2012

Late Summer Planting

The other day my mother told me I should be proud of my garden, which obviously I am because I won't stop blogging about it!  So her's yet another blog post about my garden.  I found some kale seeds.  I don't know why I didn't think to look at the store 5 minutes away from me with "Seed Company" in the title, but surprise, surprise they had some seeds.  I bought curly kale and Russian red kale.

Russian Red
Curly Kale


I know that I'm REALLY late planting, but I figured if I even get a few leaves, it's worth it.  I now know where I can get TONS of seeds (It's Dumont's Seed Company by the way) and I will at least get a feel for how kale will grow for me.  When I read The Book of Kale, the author talked about how sweet kale tastes after a frost.  This is my main goal--to taste kale after a frost.  If I only have baby kale leaves, that's fine with me, I just want to see what it's like.  At $1.75 a seed packet, what did I have to lose?  I've pulled out my carrots, watermelon, cantaloupe, and lettuce so I have plenty of room to add something new.
My green beans are almost kaput. I've pulled out a lot of plants that are done producing so all I have left are peppers (TONS of jalapenos so if you're in the Canton area and you'd like some HOT jalapenos, let me know!!) and a few butternut squash.  And marigolds.  Lots and lots of marigolds.  I read when I was first starting my garden that planting marigolds in the garden will deter pests, and it seems to have worked!  (Unless you count Ellie as a pest because she LOVES those thing!  I'm ALWAYS finding marigold flowers scattered around the patio!)

My garden as of 9-6-12 (Kale is planted in the big empty spot in front.)

The end of the green beans

Peppers still doing well!

Jalapenos galore!

Mommy squash and baby squash!  These guys have done really well!

Marigold Monster: A Self-Portrait






No comments:

Post a Comment