Monday, September 10, 2012

EWG's Cleaners Database is Up!

I'm sure you're all as excited as I am that the Environmental Working Group's Guide to Healthy Cleaning is up and running.  I blogged a few weeks ago that it was coming, and I've been back to the EWG site a few times to check to see if it was up yet, but today's the day!
I like it.  It's similar to their cosmetic database, but this rates on letters, rather than numbers.  You can search by brand or by specific products.  There's also a "Top Products" section that lists the best products in each category (laundry detergent, dish soap, bathroom cleaners, etc) 

So how did my products measure up?  Not so good.  I was disappointed to learn that Method isn't really that fantastic, across the board.  There are some products that scored above a C, but there were an awful lot that were an F.  I checked The Honest Co and they were better, but still not everything was above a C.  (I didn't find many products that were an A).  So it's kind of like the cosmetics--I can't just find a line that I like and trust that EVERYTHING in that line is safe.  
Of course I also found the opposite Lysol Professional Disinfectant Basin Tub & Tile Cleaner was a B and was listed as one of the top products! So here's my rundown:
Method Dishsoap: F
Method Diswasher Tabs: B
Honest Co Rinse Aid: C
Method Free and Clear Laundry Detergent:B
Honest Co Stain Remover: F
Honest Co Oxy Boost: B
Method Anti-Bac Bathroom Cleaner:D
Honest Co Multi-Purpose Cleaner: D

I was looking at my list and I was disappointed in myself.  I don't really need all these cleaners!  I found that some of them  I only bought because I was picking products from The Honest Co's Family Essential Bundle and they looked interesting so I thought I'd give them a try.  I haven't used stain remover in years, instead of usually just put a little detergent right on the stain, but for some reason I decided to buy this one. So after this, I'm going to rethink my NEED for cleaners.  I should just go back to baking soda and vinegar!  

How do your products measure up? (Spoiler alert: Tide's an F!)

No comments:

Post a Comment