Friday, September 14, 2012

Spanakopitta

I've decided to make Friday "Recipe Day" on my blog.  I'm always on the look-out for good recipes so I thought I'd share them here when I find them.  This one is a Greek spinach pie.  It's pretty fast and easy to make and I love it!  (So does Vince.)  It's from The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook by Cathe Olson. (One of my favorites!)

Spanakopitta

2 tsp olive oil
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1lb fresh spinach, washed and chopped
2 eggs
1 tsp dried dill or 1 TBSP fresh
1 C crumbled feta cheese
black pepper to taste
8 sheets of phyllo dough

Preheat oven to 375.  Warm oil in large skillet over medium heat.  Add green onions and saute 2 mintues, or until soft.  Add spinach to pan.  Cover and cook 5-10 minutes or until spinach is wilted.  Transfer to a colander and let it drain.

In a bowl, beat eggs and dill.  Stir in cheese and spinach.  Season with pepper.

Lightly brush a 10 in pie pan with olive oil (I use a spray).  Place a sheet of phyllo in pan.  Spray with oil.  Place a second sheet over the first but position it so the corners don't match up.  Spray with oil.  Repeat until you have four layers of phyllo.  Spread the spinach filling evenly in the pan.  Turn the corners of phyllo over the filling.  Layer 4 more sheets of phyllo over the filling, spraying each with oil as before.  Tuck corners under pie.  Bake 40-50 minutes, or until golden brown. 

This is from Google Images--NOT what mine looked like!

No comments:

Post a Comment