Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Attention New Greenies! I found a book for you!

I got an an Amazon gift card for Christmas.  I literally got chills thinking about the books I could buy to read on my Kindle.  I got a few of my book club books (we're doing Kid Lit this time.  This month is Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool--very good!) then I hopped over to the green books section.  I have been saying that I want to read something else "green" because it helps keep me inspired.  I found memoirs, which looked good, but I was looking more for a how-to.  Sometimes the memoirs make me feel frustrated ("They're doing ABC, I should too.") So I bought Green, Greener, Greenest: A Practical Guide to Making Eco-Smart Choices a Part of Your Life by Lori Bongiorno. 
Green, Greener, Greenest: A Practical Guide to Making Eco-Smart Choices a Part of Your Life
I started reading it yesterday and I'm halfway through it already!  It's GREAT!  I you're one of those people who's told me, "I'd like to live greener, I'm just not sure where to start."  This book was written for you!  It's set up by chapters of different green topics, Food, Cleaning, Babies and Kids, Home Improvement and Building, Etc.  Since I'm reading it cover to cover, I've noticed that she's repeated herself a few times, which signifies to me that the book is designed to be read in sections. Don't have kids?  Skip that chapter.  Not improving your house, just skim that part. 
The title, Green, Greener, Greenest is also how the book is set up.  After she briefly explains a topic, she tells you what you can do to be green, greener and greenest.  For example, when she was discussing energy consumption under green she lists, changing one light bulb to an energy efficient one.  For greener, it may be two and for greenest change them all.  Cool, right? 
It's great because I feel like it gives you permission to just do a little bit.  Everyone says, every little bit helps, but when you read about any of these topics, it all seems so overwhelming.  I feel like I should install solar panels on my house and fence in the front yard and get a cow to supply my family with dairy.  (Ooooh!  Now THERE'S an interesting blog project!)
I will say that I'm not learning a whole lot from this book--which is great for newbies.  I've read LOTS of books about going green and this one is really a basic summary.  It just gives the basics.  There hasn't been a part that I've had to go back and reread to make sure I really understand the chemical process of how Clorox becomes dioxin and ends up in the hair follicles of polar bears.  It's just the basic overview, with just enough research citations and stats to make it interesting and credible.  (Not like you're reading just some crazy's blog post.) I'm using the highlight feature on my Kindle so I'm planning to add some of the interesting stats she has on here. 
The other thing I love about this book has nothing to do with the author or her writing style.  It's the year that it was published 2008.  Not a significant year, but it's so encouraging to see how far we've come in just 5 years.  The suggestions she's making in some areas are more common now (like the energy efficient light bulbs).  The products she's talking about (in the green cleaning sections for example and the organic foods) are not much more readily available.  Some of the changes she says will be coming, are here.  A lot of the "green" steps to take, you're probably already taken just because the information is out there, the products are easy to find and "everyone's doing it."  We're getting greener and fast!  THAT is inspiring to me!  This book was just the little boost I needed to keep me on the greener path. 
Well, I'm off to research dairy cows and Canton City's laws on housing livestock in residential areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment