Monday, January 7, 2013

Caden Update

Two days on meds and it DOES seem to be working well!  He doesn't seem to be having any side effects (even the decreased appetite that the doctor said he would probably have at lunchtime).  His behavior at school has improved as has his ability to focus.  I think the most notable thing I'VE seen is the change in his handwriting.  Whereas before it was dark, huge and messy, not it's much neater, smaller and clearly he's using less pressure.  Dare I say it...more focused?!  His teacher is writing me notes to let me know how it's going each day, but if things continue like this, I think we'll keep him on it.  For school days anyway.

Can I also confess my biggest fear?  HE didn't change.  I know it sounds silly, and I talked to Evan about it and he said, "What did you expect, him to be drooling in the corner?" which of course, I didn't, but being unfocused, bouncy, impulsive, loud...that's CADEN.  I was so afraid that I would put him on this medication and he wouldn't be MY Caden anymore.  He would be someone else.  Someone calmer, more reserved.  That's not my kid.  As hard as he is to parent and to parent with his ADHD on top of it, I wasn't willing to let that go.  I love him just how he is and I was afraid giving him this medication was going to change who he was.  But it didn't.  He's still Caden, just slightly slower.  He's a Caden that will actually tell me about his day, what he did, what happened, who said and did what at school, instead of just telling me the color he got on his behavior chart.  He'll sit and work on a project (he made a black widow spider) and take his time and see it through to the end, not rush through and leave a mess in his wake.  He stops and looks at me when he talks to me, instead of darting eyes, that let me know he's mentally on to what he's going to do next, one I'm done detaining him.  I'm not holding my breath when he gets off the bus (and walks down the street, not running and jumping in the neighbor's yard) to see what kind of trouble he got in at school.  I can give him a smilk and a hug and talk about what we're going to do that night instead of trying to deal with a punishment or having a serious talk about what happened at school.  This medication actually gave me MORE of my Caden, not less.  I'm still not going to give it to him when he's not going to school.  It's far too expensive for that.  Plus, I still don't like the idea of having him on medication.  The less I can give him, the better, in my opinion.  It seems to be making a big difference in school.  If I need to give him this medication to help him succeed, why would I not?  That's my job as a mom, right?  Support my child, love my child and do whatever is in my power to make them a well adjusted, healthy, successful person.  And do his laundry.  Not as glamorous, but also important. 
He's SO good with Olivia! He tries to make her laugh every chance he gets.  That includes when she's sleeping. Grrrrr!

No comments:

Post a Comment