Friday, January 11, 2013

Recipe Friday: Croutons

I made these guys two nights ago and they weren't so great, but I made them a year ago and I remember them being awesome.  I think the second time can be attributed to user error.  So, two things I learned.  1. Don't use bread that has been in the freezer for 6 months.  It will make your croutons taste like freezer burn.  2. Don't use more bread than the recipe calls for because you're trying to use up all the buns left over in your freezer from summer cook-outs.  It dilutes the flavor, but I will says, allows the freezer burn taste to shine through!

I was planning to blog about how these guys are great to make with leftover bread- that can be stored in the freezer- but I guess I should amend that.  I used the heels of a loaf we just finished and then dug out some old buns left over from the summer.  I think had they not been in there for 6 months, they would have been fine to use.  So I'm still going to stick with my comment, "These are a great way to use up those leftover heels of bread and buns!"  I know homemade croutons sound labor-intensive, but they're not.  They only take about 30 minutes total and 10 of prep.  So here it is:



Croutons

4  C bread cubes (not freezer burned)
1 TBSP unsalted butter, melted
1 TBSP olive oil
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp seasoned salt (a.k.a. Ellie's favorite sprinkle)
1/8 tsp ground pepper

Preheat the oven to 300.  Toss the bread cubes with the other ingredients.  Spread the cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake until slightly browned, about 20 minutes. Let cool.  Store at room temp in an airtight container (I used my Lily Pad lid!) for up to one 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment