Thursday, January 31, 2013

Fruit and Veggie Wash--Worth It?

When I started my bundle subscription with The Honest Co, I added fruit and veggie wash to my 5 item bundle.  I didn't need a lot of the items when I placed my first order, it looked interesting, so I thought I'd give it a try.  I like the idea of cleaning my food.  Who doesn't think fresh, clean produce sounds great?  But is it worth it?  As I'm cutting corners and straying from some organic produce lately (I feel AWFUL about this!  I literally feel like I'm watching my kids ingest poison as they eat conventional peppers!  I don't care if it's more expensive, I'm going back to organics!) I started wondering, can fruit and veggie wash take the place of organics?  If I use this spray, will it just wash off the pesticides and make the conventional food just as safe as the organic?

Honest-fruit-veggie-wash
The Honest Co.'s Fruit & Veggie Wash


I did a little research online last night, and the short answer is, no.  I looked at Fit's website as well and they both seem to make the same claim (this is from Honest's site.  I don't think Fit is plant-based) 
Naturally cut through chemical residues & wax to leave fruits & vegetables truly clean!
  • 100% non-toxic, plant-based formula safely and effectively removes unwanted:
    • toxic pesticide & chemical residues,
    • pathogens, waxes, dirt, handling oils & bacteria surface contaminants (found on both conventional & organically grown produce)
  • No taste or odor left behind
  • Significantly more effective than cleaning with water alone*
  • Inhibits browning & helps food last up to 200% longer*
    *Based on independent lab tests. Results based on specific microbial testing.
Even THEY'RE not claiming that it's a replacement for organics.  I still like the idea of using it to remove bacteria and waxes.  I agree that water alone probably isn't the BEST for cleaning product, but I also think that adding cleaning products to your home isn't great either. 

As for the competing with organics, there's just a safety feature in that "organic" label that you can't get, no matter how much you clean, the conventional produce. Certified organic produce means that it is not only grown without synthetic chemicals (pesticides, herbicides, insecticides), it's also not from a genetically modified seed, it is grown without sewer sludge or irradiation.  You can't wash off radiation. 

I probably won't get another bottle of the wash.  I like the idea of getting my veggies super clean, but when I buy organic, or get them out of my garden, I don't feel like I really NEED to add yet another cleaning product to my house.  You may feel differently, but I'm going to just keep rinsing really well...and using my awesome salad spinner!!


No comments:

Post a Comment