Thursday, January 3, 2013

I put Caden on Medication

Last month, at the STRONG urging of the school, I took Caden to Akron Children's Hospital's ADHD clinic for testing.  I'd had him tested before for ADHD, and both times the results were negative...well, he didn't *quite* have enough symptoms in a range of settings to be diagnosed with ADHD.  If you met him, you'd probably diagnose him yourself, but clinically, he wasn't diagnosable.  I was always on the fence with ADHD.  I felt, as a psychology undergrad, that there were lots of parents who had unreasonable expectations for children.  I STILL believe that a lot of kids diagnosed with ADHD are actually within the LARGE range of normal, but a little on the wild side.  There's a reason they say, "Boys will be boys."  I actually still kind of think this is Caden.  I have the paperwork in front of me, but I still kind of think, he's just a wild boy.  But the truth is, it doesn't really matter what I think. 
I'm not his teacher.  It's not ME who has to try to get him focused to do his work.  I don't have to deal with him constantly forgetting to keep his hands to himself (this isn't actually true, I deal with this ALL THE TIME at home, but it's different when he's grabbing and shoving a sibling versus another student.)  And most importantly, I'm not another student trying to relate to the kid who's unable to control his impulses and gets right in my face, won't listen to me when I tell him to stop doing what he's doing (be it making an annoying sound, grabbing me, or misbehaving because he thinks it's cool and it will impress me.) 
So Evan and I made the hard decision to try medication.  I like the idea that I'm just trying it.  It's easier for me to think that I'm drugging my kid, temporarily.  We're not doing it on the weekend.  I don't plan to do it over any breaks.  Just school days.  Just to help him focus and stay on task.  Just to help him interact with his peers.
As a toddler, his impulsivity was just being a toddler.  As a preschooler, it was immaturity, as a kindergartner, it as still just immaturity and a little being a boy, but the older he gets, the more he sticks out with his impulsive behavior.  Evan and I are, of course, concerned with his inability to focus in school.  But Caden's smart.  Even without paying attention and staying on task, he's taking it all in.  He's an AWESOME reader, his math skills are above where they're supposed to be.  The teachers aren't concerned that he's not where a normal second grader is supposed to be, they're concerned that he's not reaching his full potential.  Which is good.  I'm glad they're looking out for my kid's best interest, but Evan and I are mostly concerned about how he's relating to other kids.  THIS is when he's going to get labeled "weird" or "bad".  (I'm pretty sure he's already received the "bad" label from other kids.)  I'm hoping that slowing him down a little and getting him to think before he acts will help him control some of those impulses that are so annoying to others and help him develop some better friendships.  I don't mean to say he doesn't have friends.  He does, but I want him to be able to relate to them better. 
This morning I gave him some pancakes, a glass of water and a small white and orange pill.  I put a hat, gloves and a warm coat and a hug on him and sent him down to the bus stop.  I watched him get on the bus (after he stomped around in the snow in his sneakers--which I TOLD him not to do!!!) and I hoped that I made the right choice. 
This is one of my all time favorite pictures of Caden.  He's holding Vince in the NICU (notice his eyes) and the look on his face...he's doing something important, being a big kid, and he knows it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment