Thursday, May 2, 2013

Bonus Recipe Day: Peanut Noodles With Broccoli

I've been reading a lot of cook books, and last week and of course I'm reading Michael Pollan's Cooked! so I have food on the brain.  I made this quick dish last Saturday when we were putting down mulch.  The kids liked it because of the "fun" rice noodles.  I added steak for Evan to make it a meat dish, but as it is, it's a fast and easy plant-based meal. Make sure you mince the ginger very fine--poor Vince hit a piece that I didn't mince too well and it was a little spicy.  I got this recipe from the Forks Over Knives Cookbook.  Ironically, it's the cookbook that I checked out from the library that earned me a free pizza!



Peanut Noodles with Broccoli


8 oz brown rice noodles (I couldn't find brown rice so I just used white rice.  Soba would be good with this too, but not as much fun for my kids!)
4 C broccoli florets (from about 2 large heads)
1 C coconut water (this is usually in the refrigerated section with the "smoothie" juices) if you can't find it just use water
3 TBSP peanut butter
2 TBSP pure maple syrup
2 TBSP soy sauce
1 TBSP minced fresh ginger
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste ( I did one little shake)

1. In a medium pot, cook noodles according to package directions.  If the directions call to boil the noodles toss the broccoli in for the last minute of cooking.  If the directions just call to soak the noodles in hot water, toss the broccoli in the boiling water for a minute before you add the noodles.  You want it to be tender-crisp.  Drain the noodles and the broccoli and set aside.

2. In a large pot over low hear, combine the coconut water, peanut butter, maple syrup, soy sauce, ginger and red pepper flakes.  Stir continuously and cook until smooth, approximately 8 to 10 minutes.

3.  Add the noodles and broccoli and toss to coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment