Friday, May 24, 2013

Recipe Friday: Pineapple How To

Since this weekend is Memorial Day, and my job is to bring the fruit to our Memorial Day celebration, I thought I'd share how I peel and core a fresh pineapple.  Until I actually attempted it, I was always very intimidated by pineapple.  It's prickly and that skin is so tough, but it's SUPER easy to do, and fast, once you know how to do it.  There's just no comparison between a fresh pineapple and canned, or even the pre-cored ones you get in the produce department.




My original plan was to do a video for you, but being that Memorial Day is still a few days away and I can't guarantee the safety of ready-to-eat fruit in my house for more than a few hours (the carton of blueberries I bought an hour ago is half-gone and only one solid-eating kid is home!) and my cameraman is 3, I thought it would just be better for everyone (except the pineapple thieves) if I just did some step by step directions.  I looked up some YouTube clips, but they made it harder than it is so I'm just going to do it my way.

1. Cut the top and bottom off the pineapple.

2. Cut the whole thing in half, then in half again, this will give you 4ths (see, math lesson involved too!).

3. I like to cut each 4th in half again (these will be know as 8ths) Stand up the 8th and slice down, cutting out the core.  Slice down the other side, removing the skin.  Do this 7 more times.  Chop your cored and peeled pineapple into bite sized pieces.

The whole process should take less than 5 minutes.  Get it to the table before my kids arrive at your house with little hands grabbing in the pineapple bowl while you're trying to prepare dinner.

Happy Memorial Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment